We love artichokes around here. The Husband and I sometimes eat just roasted artichokes for dinner. Even the guinea pigs love to nibble on an artichoke leaf once in a while. And this recipe is about as straightforward as it can be when it comes to cooking those yummy, funny-looking little plants. It literally takes about 5 minutes to prepare and has less than 5 ingredients. Oh, and it's gluten free. Perfection. In fact, the most challenging thing about this dish is having the patience to wait while the smell of roasted garlic and artichoke fills your kitchen. Hope you enjoy!
What You Need:
- 2 medium to large artichokes
- 4 cloves of garlic
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- two squares of big enough to wrap around each artichoke
What You Do:
1. Preheat your oven to 425. Slice an inch-and-a-half or so off the top of each artichoke and cut the stem off at the base.*
2. Place each artichoke in a a sheet of foil, then drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil. You want the artichoke to be well-coated but not soaked in liquid.
3. Push two cloves of garlic into the inner leaves of each artichoke. Wrap the foil around the artichoke and fold the ends over to make sure it's full closed. (They'lll look a lot like Hershey's kisses, which might make you crave chocolate. You've been warned.)
4. Bake in the oven for an hour and fifteen minutes (1 hr. 15 min.), or up to an hour and a half if they're larger artichokes.
5. Carefully remove the artichokes from their foil pouches and enjoy!
6. The garlic and lemon juice make them tasty enough on their own but if you'd like to indulge a little, whisk together 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup melted butter, 1 tbsp. lemon juice, and salt & pepper to taste for a yummy dipping sauce.
*Some people just throw away the stem but I like to wrap them up in the foil along with the artichoke and roast them together. It'll soak up some of the oil and lemon juice from the artichoke and get nice and tender while roasting.
Linking up with Nicole today!