- Flying with a head cold. This is actually more painful than awkward and I'd highly advise against it. Let me explain. On the last day of our trip, I woke up with a sore throat and couldn't stop sneezing. At first, I thought it was allergies but by the end of the day I knew it was a cold. The next day, I took some cold medicine about an hour before our flight and didn't think twice about getting on the plane. Oh my god. Big mistake. I had the weirdest sensation in my ears during the flight - totally different than I've ever had on previous flights - and the descent into SFO was straight up painful. It felt like someone was stabbing my ear with an ice pick. I almost started crying right there on the plane! And physical pain hasn't made me cry since I was in elementary school so that's saying something.
- Um, that's it. I can't think of anything else to fit into this category from the trip. That's how awesome San Diego was. More specifically -
- Unplanned double features. On our first day of vacation, we randomly decided to go see a movie. We went to see Ted, which just so happened to end right when Moonlight Kingdom was starting in the theater next door. Let's just say, we made it a late night. Don't judge. You know you've done it, too.
- We had some pretty awesome food in San Diego, too. Carne asada fries, pollo fundido, gnocchi, California burritos, fro-yo, local beers, margaritas, mojitos ... you name it, we ate and drank it.
- Neti pots. After the Most Painful Flight Ever, I still had a horrible, uncomfortable, clogged pressure feeling in my right ear. To make it worse, I couldn't hear a thing out of that ear. A friend on Facebook suggested I try using a Neti pot to clear it out. Holy crap. Immediately after using it, the clogged feeling was gone, the pressure was gone, and I could hear again. Just in time, too - I was started to feel like an old lady constantly saying, "Eh? What? Speak up, sonny, I can't hear you!"
- The San Diego Zoo! We spent a full day at the zoo and it was amazing. I'm finishing up the photos and planning to post them for you tomorrow!