- Because of the low voter turnout on Tuesday, the other poll workers and I spent a lot of time figuring out how to keep ourselves entertained. Of course, everyone had a smart phone of one kind or another so there was a lot of game-playing going on. Most of us had the volume turned off ... except for one lady. She was slightly older (maybe middle-aged?) and kept playing some game that sounded like slot machines. Over and over, all day, for the whole 15 HOURS we were working, I kept hearing a mix of cha-chings and fake crowd applause. Those sounds will give me nightmares for months.
- This same lady also told me that was her 8th time working at the elections. When I asked her why she kept doing it, she pulled out this little pin that said "San Francisco Pollworker 2012" and had this year's election logo on it. Once I got past my jealousy over not having one myself, she told me that each election has a different logo on it and you can only get them when you're a pollworker. "No matter how much money you have, you can't buy them. You have to be a pollworker if you want one." She thought these pins were so special, she started a collection and now works every election so she can add to it. (I actually think this is kind of awesome...)
- We're taking a little mini-vacation to San Diego in July. I can't wait to lounge on warm, sunny beaches and check out the sights! Tammy has given me a ton of great suggestions of things to do and places to go while we're there. Now let's see if I can get through the next four weeks without totally drifting into daydream land...
- Thinking about making these this afternoon:
- It's almost the weekend! I've got a wedding, a Giants game, a dinner date, and a bridal shower on the calendar so it's gonna be a busy one but I'm still super excited about it. Have you made any plans yet?