Tomato Basil Soup
What You Need:
2-3 tbsp. olive oil
1 red onion
1 red Italian pepper
6-7 large, vine-ripened tomatoes (I used 7, plus some little pear tomatoes I had in the fridge)
2-4 cloves of garlic, depending on your preference
3 cups vegetable broth
1 tbsp. tomato paste
10 or so basil leaves, chopped up
1 tsp. of sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste
What To Do:
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot and add the onions and carrots. Cook until tender, roughly 10-12 minutes. (Note, if you chopped them into smaller pieces they'll cook faster.)
2. Add the garlic and Italian pepper and cook for another minute or two. If you want the soup to be spicy, use two or three peppers instead of just one.
3. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, basil, and broth. Stir, then add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Bring the soup to a boil then let it simmer with the lid off for about half an hour.
5. Using an immersion blender or regular blender, puree the soup until smooth. Serve and enjoy!!
Tip: I added a little dollop of low-fat sour cream to ours. It was the perfect little touch without making the soup too heavy. You can also try sprinkling some Parmesan or Reggiano cheese, too.
© Twentieth Street | All rights reserved.