Hello Lovelies!! I hope y'all had a great weekend! I have a little treat for you to kick off summer. Way back when, I promised you a limoncello recipe direct from The Boyfriend's Italian great-uncle. Well, here it is! This particular recipe is a bit on the sweet side so if your sweet tooth isn't quite as intense as mine, feel free to cut the sugar proportion in half.
What You Need:
1 bottle of Everclear (Yes, Everclear, I know. This is one of those "sip it, don't shoot it" drinks. If you can't find Everclear, use a good vodka instead.)
2 c. sugar
2 c. water
1 glass bottle (like an empty alcohol bottle for example)
What To Do:
1. Peel the zest of the lemons. Be sure not to remove the pithy white part. It's really bitter - like, squeeze-your-eyes-shut-and-suck-in-your-cheeks-because-its-bitter-than-a-Lemonhead bitter.
2. Empty the bottle of Everclear into a large pitcher or other plastic/Tupperware container. Add the lemon zest. Set the bottle aside and save for later (you'll need two bottles total - this one and an extra).
3. Leave the Everclear/lemon zest mixture in the refrigerator for at least two weeks.
4. After two weeks, boil the sugar and water together. Once the sugar dissolves, remove from heat and let cool. In the mean time, strain the zest from the Everclear.
5. Add the sugar syrup to the Everclear. This will pretty much double liquid you have. Pour into glass bottles and freeze for quick cooling. Soak up the sun and enjoy!
Tip - If you want to try arancello, substitute oranges for lemons.