After a summer full of Lean Cuisines, I've decided to spend a lot of my free time cooking fresh delicious meals. If I'm not careful, Big Mario will start to look like a cooking blog.
What You Need:
1 lb. fresh asparagus
3/4 yellow onion, chopped
1 medium potato, chopped
2-4 c. vegetable broth
1 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 c. reggiano cheese, grated
Salt & pepper, to taste
Sour cream or plain yogurt
What To Do:
1. Chop all the veggies and place them in a large pot. Add broth until the veggies are just covered (roughly a half to one and a half cups). Simmer until veggies are tender.
2. Place mixture in a blender, a little bit at a time, and blend until it's all pureed and smooth.
3. Melt butter in the pan over medium heat and stir while adding flour, salt, and pepper. Be careful not to let the flour brown.
4. Add in about 1 and 1/4 cups of broth and increase the heat slightly and continue stirring until the mixture comes to a boil and there are no lumps from the flour.
5. Stir in the puree until fully combined. Add lemon juice then remove from heat. Serve with a sprinkle of cheese and dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt.